I started this back in May of last year, and just as quickly stalled, for multiple reasons. First of all, I was knitting this out of the recommended yarn, Rowan Calmer, and I don't carry this yarn in the store. That always makes it hard for me to stay motivated (Handmaiden Ottowa being the first exception to date), because I know that it's not a sample that I can wear without having to say, I'm sorry, no, we don't have that yarn here. And I deliberately chose not to carry Calmer because I feel like the price point on it is too high for a cotton/acrylic blend. But I loved working with it - for a cotton it was very easy on the hands! I just wish it didn't cost so much!
Second complication: I modified the pattern to be worked in the round in one piece, which seems so logical considering it is a yoked pullover and you eventually have to join it all together anyway! But the consequence of that was 15" of stockinette stitch in the round . . . bleck. Bleck. And more bleck.
So when I finally picked this bad boy back up a few weeks ago, I was nearing the top of the body. And to re-orient myself to the pattern and my modifications for being in the round, I counted my stitches. And found that I had some wacky number of stitches that fell between two sizes in the pattern. WTF?! I could not figure out what I had been thinking some 16 months earlier when I casted on, until I re-checked my gauge and discovered that I had changed the cast on # b/c I was getting a slightly different gauge than called for. Voila! So smart, right?
Wrong. When I changed the cast on # I forgot to take into account that I had to have a specific number of stitches for the yoke pattern (a multiple of 11) to work out correctly. Doh! So I had to haul out the calculator and a paper and pencil, and re-tool the body and sleeves #s a bit to make sure that I had an appropriate # of sts for the yoke without significantly changing the overall size I needed it all to be. And guess what?
It worked! Another great sweater goes into my arsenal - slowly tipping the scales in favor of good knits over bad knits . . . :)
Yesterday we managed to snap a few photos of Mallory sitting in a bin surrounded by cherries. It's been a tradition in my family to get the bin 'o cherries shot since I was a wee tot, and all cousins and grandkids since have had a turn getting cherries dumped around them. You see, I grew up surrounded by these:
And harvest is fully underway right now. Mals wasn't freaked out, per se, but she was a bit confused as to why she was placed in the bin, and why everyone was standing around staring at her. I wish you all were here and then you could sample the fresh cherries in the shop!