Modifications? I changed the ribbing on the cuffs and hem to turned-ribbed hems, as well as changed the neckline to have a turned-ribbed collar in order to bring in the contrasting skull green color on the front. Oh, and the skull is my own addition. I took the skull chart from the Son of Stitch 'N Bitch book and added the crossbones, then sunk it into the middle of the back of the sweater.
Nichole found the buttons for me at the Button Emporium in Portland (link above). Are they perfect or what??
This was such and enjoyable project all around. It was so much fun to knit it knowing that my friend is going to be so tickled to receive it. I also really liked knitting with the 220 Superwash! It was my first time working with it, and it is so soft, so easy to knit that I was inspired to immediately cast on another KPS top-down project (or two) with the same yarn. More on those to come!
So, I know my posting track record is spotty. I tend to go in spurts of posts, then nothing for a month. I would apologize and promise to do better, but clearly, it ain't gonna happen!
Let's see, what have I been up to lately?? What haven't I been up to! Fall has hit me so hard - Campbell is in Kindergarten now, which has its own whole mess of business (not to mention getting her to school at 7:45 in the morning!). The store is CRAZY BUSY and I can hardly keep up even with all of Nichole's help. Y'all should see the amazing new stuff we have been cramming on the shelves every week. I'm working as fast as I can to get it all up on the website...in the meantime, though, we've put some goodies on sale to make room for the new stuff so don't miss out on some great deals!
On to the knitting! Oops - did I say knitting? I meant, On to the crocheting! -gasp. That's right, folks, I've been crocheting!
It all started when I brought home Son of Stitch 'N Bitch, and asked Jason to browse through and pick out something he liked. He picked Lidsville, by Kellen Wallis, which is a crochet pattern. I groaned and put it to the back of my mind.
Then, a few Saturdays ago I stopped by Fiber Nooks & Crannys in Corvallis, OR, while we were in town to watch the OSU BEAVERS KICK USC's ASS IN FOOTBALL, and came across the greatest orange tweed - perfect for the Lidsville hat. (I also got to meet the incredible Vicky, one of the first bloggers I ever read, who was working at the store!). Hence:
Pattern: Lidsville, by Kellen Wallis, from Son of Stitch 'N Bitch
Gotta say, I had issues with this pattern, and at one point even had to contact Kellen via Ravelry to ask a question. The crocheting itself is cake, it's the assembly that's rough. It's crocheted in 9 pieces, and I'm convinced, even in my novice crocheting stage, that it can be done in fewer, especially the back four pieces (maybe a little back-post decrease at the "seam" lines instead). The book's instructions for assembly are really odd, and overall I got the impression that it wasn't well edited before press. Kellen says as much on the Rav page for this pattern, that he was still working on the final pattern after submitting the prototype used for photos. You can tell that there is something really different about the brim in the book pic compared to the brim you get from the instructions, and it's placement with the body of the hat.
But - the final is not bad, and it looks great on J, and will keep his head toasty warm at the next 3 Beaver games we go to in November! Oh - shoot - I need a hat now:
OK - one more problem with Lidsville - it calls for waaay too much yarn. The book says 2 hanks of Tahki Donegal Tweed, and those are 100g hanks ... Jason's hat took about one and a half 50g balls. So since I had all this wonderful, leftover orange tweed and I, myself will be attending 3 more football games in Brrrr cold November, I though I better make myself a hat, too!
I loved, loved, loved this pattern. I had never done front- or back-post crochet before, and the effect is fantastic. The pattern was easy to follow, and since my gauge was a little smaller (used a smaller hook and slightly finer yarn), I just did one extra round of increases. I actually decreased those away again to tighten it up before attaching the brim, and it worked out great. This is my new favorite hat, and it worked wonders covering up my gross hair this weekend when I had to leave the house while suffering from the flu. Bleck.