Today is the day! Opening ceremonies are at 8pm PST, and you can cast-on when the torch is lit!
This is so exciting - we have over 40 participants! Scroll to the bottom of this post to see a list of participants and their Olympic projects.
It's not too late to sign up! You have until 5pm PST to contact us here at the and register your 2010 Winter Knitting Olympics project! Read our original Knitting Olympics post for all the details!
OK - you might be wondering what I am going to commit to during the Olympics. I had a hard time choosing, and all of my options came from one publication: the 09/10 Winter Vogue Knitting! (Warning - the following links are all Ravelry links)
- #15 B.A.H.: oops - already knit it, so obviously that one is out.
- #23 Cabled Yoke Cardigan: a serious contender.
- #28 Wrap with Belt: interesting construction, might have stash yarn to use.
- #10 Belted Tunic: very intriquing, looked good on me at TNNA.
- #09 Tunic Vest: didn't try this one on, just think it's super cute.
OK - here's pros and cons. 2nd choice would mean working with mohair....not sure I'm up for that right now. 3rd choice - no cons that I can see. I could use my stashed Handmaiden Ottowa...it has interesting construction and interesting stitch patterns to keep me entertained, and I tried it on at TNNA and it was very cute. 4th choice...liked this one on me, too, but that is going to be one helluva lot of stockinette stitch to do in 16 days. Hmm. 5th choice - really like this one, but I don't think I have a yarn that is right for it and so I'd have to order and don't have time.
We have a winner! #3 (#28 Wrap with Belt) is the clear choice for me. Now my only decision is yarn: I have enough stashed Handmaiden/Fleece Artist Ottowa in 2 different colorways, but I'm concerned it won't have the same drape as the sample I tried on, which was a wool/silk blend. HOWEVER - there is some LOVELY Handmaiden Great Big Sea, a wool/silk/seacell blend, calling to me from the shelf across the room....so very, very tempting...
So - what's YOUR project??? Here are what the TEAM KAH Olympic Knitters will be undertaking:
- Wendy A - Mossy Jacket
- Penny B - Short Lucky
- Stephanie B - Garter Stitch Panel Afghan
- Helga B - Prairie Shawl from Folk Knits
- Sarah B - Combining 2 patterns for sweater for her
- Ann B - Pretty as a Peacock Shawl
- Carol C - Lace Smoke Ring
- Jodi C - Crocheted Hat
- Sarah C - Slip-Stitch Layers from IW Holiday 09
- Kristie C - Purlaway mitten
- Rachel C - February Lady Sweater
- Maureen D - Blue Sky Alpaca Silk Shrug
- Amanda D - Kaleidoscope Scarf
- Lisa E - St Johns Wort Cardigan
- Misty E - dishcloth baby sweater
- Kylie E - Chunky Knit Scarf
- Alison F - Catherine Cardigan
- Sue-Ann G - 2 Socks at once/Magic Loop
- Michelle H - Fruit Loop Socks
- Kelsey H - Cold Mountain
- Beth H - Heartstrings Fiber Arts Lace Cowl
- Beverly H - Willoughby Scarf
- Inger - Crocheted Ripple Lap Blanket
- Tracie J - Nashua Handknits Vest
- Lydia K - Meandering Vine Shawl
- Cherri K - Moss Stitch Beret
- Sarah K - Wrap With Belt
- Claire L - WIPs busting on Purple Cardigan from Summer 09 Vogue
- Emma Marie F - Kaya Cabled Scarf
- Lisa M - Novelty Garter Scarf
- Julie M - Knit to be Square Bag
- Jill M - Panbe Dress Tunic from Winter '10 Knitscene
- Julia N - Loretto Vest from Winter '10 Knitscene
- Penny P - WIPs busting a 20 year old afghan project
- Katrina R - Lillie's Little Sweater
- Nichole R - hat design project
- Melanie R - Debbie Bliss Ruffle Coat for baby
- Sandy R - Zigzag Anklet
- Mary R - Toe Up Socks
- Lynn R - Baby Sweater
- Beth R - Knit 1 Below Sock
- Mary S - Berroco Tonia
- JaneAnn S - Unloved yarn project
- Laurie S - Fine Knit Ribbed Man Sweater
- Heidi S - Chunky Baby Blanket
- Margaret S - Shawl
- Teri S - Lace Shawl
- Janice T - WIPs bust on 5 overdue afghan squares
- Kelly T - Wandering the Moor
- Elizabeth V - 2 at once Socks
- Destiny W - Debbie Bliss Cardigan
- Missy W - Savannah Cardigan
- Mokihana W- WIPs busting: 2 blankets, shawl, toy giraffe
- Sherry W - Hoody, #15 Winter 10 Vogue
- Janice W - February Lady Sweater
- Paula W - spinning a 3-ply yarn
- Crispin Y - Top-down Baby Sweater
- Susan Z - spinning 8oz Shetland
If you think you should be on this list but don't see your name, or still want to sign up before 5pm tonight, just comment to this post!