One fateful Friday in late September, Berroco released one of its Free Patterns via the KnitBits email. That was the day I met Aidez (ravelry link). We had just received our first shipment of Berroco Peruvia Quick, a light and lofty 2-ply bulky peruvian wool. It kind of screamed - KNIT ME! And......many of you know of my weakness for a good red color . . . . entonces, empece mi Aidez Rojo.
- Pattern: Aidez, by Cirilia Rose, free from Berroco
- Yarn: Berroco Peruvia Quick (100% peruvian wool), 9 skeins in 9135, Caliente
- Needles: I got gauge on US 10 (6,0mm)
- Size: 40" finished chest
- Mods: many - see below
I decided right away that since this was a raglan-sleeved design, I would modify it to knit it in one piece.
I casted on for two fronts and back at once and placed a LOT of markers to differentiate between the different motifs until I had a visual on them. When I hit the underarm bind-off areas, I instead placed them on hold to graft to the sleeve underarms later.
After knitting most of the first sleeve, I decided it was too snug for my taste and ripped it back. I changed to have almost the full number of stitches needed at the top of the sleeve down at the cuff, and consequently only worked 3 sets of increases up the length of the sleeve. I knit the first sleeve up from cuff to armhole in the round, then placed underarm bind offs on hold as well, then joined that sleeve to body. Ditto for second sleeve.
With all the pieces joined together, I knit the whole yoke up to neck incorporating the raglan shaping as written. The collar was just a touch trickier. Basically I left all neck and shoulder stitches live, and knit each half of the collar on as I went, attaching it to the live stitches using a ssk/p2tog join at the end of every other row. When each half was the right length to meet at the back neck, I grafted the live collar stitches together.
And then (and this is why I make these changes) IT WAS DONE! No sewing! Ha HAH! Blocked, and worn. To the beach on a stormy weekend - oh Aidez, how I love thee!